There's no question that effective marketing is essential for any home service business.
Whether you're a plumber, electrician, or roofer, you need to be able to reach potential customers and persuade them to hire you. With 2.7 million home service
businesses in operation, home service marketing is the only way to get word of your services out there.
If done correctly, home service business marketing will help you manage your reputation, grow your sales, and earn customers' trust. Without it, your business risks low customer volume, which might lead to the closure of your business.
In this article, we'll discuss service marketing and the other different types of marketing that are most important for home service businesses as well as how to approach them. We'll also look at some of the benefits of using these strategies!
What is service marketing?
Service marketing is a particular type of marketing that focuses on promoting and selling services rather than products.
It's different from product marketing because it requires a different approach - you can't just show pictures of your service or its results. You have to explain the process in detail and convince potential customers that your service is worth the money.
Home service marketing is a form of service marketing aimed at promoting the benefits of your service rather than its features. For example, you can't just list the
features of your plumbing service - you have to explain how your service will help the customer, whether by saving them money on repairs or preventing a disaster.
Home service marketing tips and tricks for business owners
Today, it is imperative that every business has a digital presence, whether it is through a website, social media, or both. In fact, a study by Blue Corona found
that 70-80% of people research a business online before they ever make a purchase.
If you want to keep up with your competition, digital marketing for your home service business is necessary. With that said, you can approach home service business marketing in various ways. Combining two or more approaches is a sure-fire way to grow customer volume.
Here are the best home service marketing strategies, tips, and tricks!
Invest in SEO
SEO refers to the practice of optimizing your website and content so that you show up higher in search engine results pages (SERPs).
When someone is looking for a home service business like yours, they'll likely use a search engine to find one. If you're not investing in SEO, then you're missing out on potential customers.
Why SEO is important
70% of online marketers say that SEO generates more sales than pay-per-click. Additionally, 75% of people searching for information on Google never scroll past the first page.
If you are to stay above your competitors, your business needs to appear first in search results. SEO is an essential ingredient for marketing success.
Here's how SEO helps digital marketing for home services:
- Increases brand awareness: SEO allows your website and social media pages to reach many people. The more times your business appears in search results, the more likely people will remember it when they need home services.
- Builds trust and credibility: When you show up first in search results, potential customers will see you as a credible and trustworthy business, which is essential for home service businesses, because people need to trust you in their homes.
- Generates leads and sales: The whole point of home service marketing is to generate leads and sales, and SEO does just that. By appearing first in search results, you'll increase the chances of potential customers visiting your website or contacting you for services.
- Increases brand value: Using SEO to reach more people and to offer helpful information increases brand value. Note that focusing on SEO without offering valuable information is counterproductive, as it leads to high bounce rates and low time on site, which negatively impacts your ranking.
- Improves user experience on your website: A well-optimized website will have fast page load times, be easy to navigate, and look great on any device. This kind of user experience will keep site viewers engaged and improve your chances of converting them into customers.
How to do SEO for home service business marketing
SEO can be tricky, but there are some things you can do to get started.
Ensure you're using the correct keyword density for your website, including keywords in your titles and tags, and creating backlinks. Also, focus on creating high-quality content that is relevant to your business, as it will help improve your website's ranking and reach more potential customers.
For social media, post regularly and use hashtags. You should also include links to your website and blog so that people can learn more about your business. SEO is just one piece of the puzzle for effectively marketing your home service business.
Build a responsive website
A responsive website looks great and functions well on all devices, from desktop computers to smartphones.
It's no secret that people love using their phones for everything these days, so it's essential to make sure your website is accessible and easy to use on a mobile
device. If not, you risk losing potential customers who may go to one of your competitors' websites because it is easy to navigate on their phone.
Why a website is vital in home services marketing
A website acts as the backbone of your digital marketing strategy. Most of the information and advertisements you put online should lead customers back to your website. A great site helps in ways such as the following:
- Gives customers a clear picture of the services you offer
- Builds credibility, as it shows consumers what your brand and company is all about
- Provides accessibility to your brand around the clock
How to approach website marketing for a home service business
A few years back, marketers only coupled successful website marketing with SEO. While SEO is an excellent tool for the success of your website marketing strategy, it is not all that you need. You also need to do the following:
- Have a professional web design: Your website gives customers a first impression of your business. Therefore, it must have a professional design to
earn their trust. Some of the elements of a professional website include simple navigation, helpful information, attractive design, and fast load times.
- Optimize your website for social media: Make sure you include social media icons and links on your website, as well as share buttons for visitors
to use, as these features will make it easy for potential customers to share your content with their friends and followers.
- Submit your sitemap to Google: Submitting a sitemap tells Google everything on your website so that it can be appropriately indexed.
- Keep your website up-to-date: Keeping a website up-to-date means regularly publishing fresh content, whether it's blog posts, images, or infographics. Also, if you start providing new services, make sure that you update your service page accordingly.
Have a social media presence
The value of social media in home service marketing can never be understated. About three-quarters of the American population, 259 million people, are social
media users, which makes social media a valuable tool for reaching potential customers. A study by Sprout Social found that 78% of people who follow businesses on social media are more likely to use their services.
Why social media is essential in digital marketing for home services
When doing home services marketing, social media helps to do the following:
- Humanize your brand: Social media is a great way to show the people behind your business, which helps potential customers feel like they know you and can trust you.
- Generate leads and sales: Social media can generate leads and sales directly. For example, you can run ads on Facebook or Instagram that target people in your area who are interested in particular home services.
- Increase brand awareness: Social media helps increase brand awareness by spreading your business to more people.
- Provide customer support: Social media is a great way to provide customer support. You can answer questions, resolve complaints, and give customers a behind-the-scenes look at your business.
- Establish your brand as a thought leader: Publishing helpful content and engaging with your followers will establish yourself as a thought leader in home services, which will help you attract more leads and sales.
How to use social media for home services marketing
For social media marketing, begin by choosing the best platform to market your brand. What platform do most of your potential customers use? Is it Facebook,
Twitter, or Instagram?
The key to using social media successfully for home service marketing is to provide valuable content, which could be tips and tricks, information about your services, or behind-the-scenes looks at your business.
Ensure that you use paid reach to your full advantage. Also, use the right mix of images and videos in your posts to make content more engaging. Do not forget to
use post scheduling features so that your posts go live during the time your target audience is most active.
You should also post regularly and be responsive to comments and questions, as it will show potential customers that you're active and engaged, which will increase the chances that they'll use your services.
Finally, make sure to use relevant hashtags so that people can find your content.
Run PPC ads
PPC, or pay-per-click, advertising is a type of online advertising where you pay for each click on your ad.
PPC ads are a great way to reach potential customers who are already interested in what you have to offer. Studies have shown that PPC ads can increase brand
awareness by 80% and generate leads at a rate of 50%.
These ads are also very cost-effective, as you only pay when someone clicks on your ad, which makes it an excellent option for home service businesses with limited marketing budgets.
PPC ads are commonly found in advertising platforms such as Google Ads, Microsoft Advertising, and Amazon Advertising. However, you can still use them on your social platforms.
Why you should use PPC Ads for home service business marketing
PPC Ads are beneficial to your business in the following ways:
- Cost-effective: They’re a great choice if you're operating on a small budget.
- Targeted: You can choose your audience based on demographics, such as age and location.
- Customizable: You can make small changes to your ads during campaigns.
- Fast results: Unlike with SEO, PPC results are immediate.
- Measurable: You can measure their success based on the ROI.
How to approach PPC for home service marketing
If you're starting out with PPC ads, it's essential to keep your campaigns simple, which means targeting a small group of people with relevant ads. As your budget increases, you can target more people and create more complex campaigns.
Remember to start out with a plan and evaluate the plan every six months. During the evaluation, check for the following:
- There are new competitors to consider.
- You're receiving the results you anticipated.
- The overall plan still makes sense.
When creating your PPC ad campaign, make sure you do the following:
- Choose the right keywords: Keywords are the words and phrases that potential customers will use to search for home services, and it can be as simple as "roofing services." Remember to include negative keywords as well, which are words and phrases for which you don't want your ad to show up. For example, if you're a roofing company, you want to include "free" as a negative keyword because you don't offer free roofing services.
- Create brief ads: Your ad should be short and sweet, with a clear call to action. It should also match the keywords you're targeting.
- Create relevant ad copy: Ad copy is the text that appears in your ad. Make sure it's catchy and informative and that it speaks to your target audience.
- Set a budget: How much are you willing to spend on each click?
- Choose the right platform: Where will your ads appear? First-tier search engines, social media, or both?
- Set up landing pages: Landing pages are the pages that people will visit after clicking on your ad. Your landing page should have all the information that potential customers need, such as what services you offer and your pricing.
- Monitor your results: Track your progress and change your campaign as needed.
Use video marketing
Video marketing will help to up your home services marketing game. Videos are a powerful way to connect with potential customers and tell your brand story. In
fact, 78% of people say they've been convinced to buy a product or service after watching a video.
Creating videos doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. You can create simple videos with just a smartphone and some editing software.
Why you should use video marketing for your home service business
Some benefits of video marketing include the following:
- It's engaging: People are more likely to watch a video than read an article.
- It boosts conversions: Videos can help to increase conversions by up to 80%.
- It builds trust: Potential customers are more likely to trust your business if they see it in a video.
- It's shareable: People can share your videos on social media, which will help to increase your reach.
- It's versatile: You can use videos for various marketing goals, such as creating brand awareness or generating leads.
How to approach video marketing for home service businesses
Before creating videos, find your target audience and center what you tell them around their needs. Set reasonable goals and consider your budget while doing so.
When making your video, do not forget to focus on various aspects that affect video quality, such as lighting and background noise.
To create compelling videos for your home service marketing campaign, ask yourself the following:
- What's your story?: Every brand has a story. What's yours?
- Who's your audience?: Whom are you trying to reach with your videos?
- What type of video do you want to create?: There are many different types of videos you can create, such as testimonials, commercials, how-to videos, and product videos.
- Where will you post your videos?: YouTube is a great place to start, but don't forget about your social media platforms and website. For instance, you can include a brief video that tells your brand story on your website.
- How will you measure success?: Track the number of views, likes, and shares your videos receive.
Digital marketing for home service businesses includes using social media, search engine optimization (SEO), and email marketing.
When doing home service business marketing, it is essential to take a modern approach that uses digital platforms instead of a traditional approach that relies on cold calling and referrals. However, this is not to say that traditional methods are not effective. They're practical, but digital methods are often more efficient and can reach a larger audience. In fact, you can mix both approaches for maximum gains!